Black Theatre Festival
The Midwest Regional Black Theatre Festival is a biennial two-week event produced by CBTC showcasing and presenting the outstanding talent of local, regional and national theatre arts professionals and non-professionals, adults and children.
The Festival Offers:
- Exhibits of new and established African American plays and musicals
- Theatre arts workshops and seminars
- Music, dance, visual art and poetry slams
Festival productions, workshops and other activities are held at multiple venues throughout Greater Cincinnati.
Venues being considered for the Festival include:
- Cincinnati Museum Center
- School for Creative and Performing Arts
- Xavier University
- Madisonville Arts Center
- Carl H. Lindner YMCACincinnati Christian University
- Carnegie Visual and Performing Arts Center
- Aronoff Center for the Arts
The Festival also includes a Celebrity Gala Awards Banquet, emceed by a celebrity of national prominence and merit in the theatre world. This black-tie event recognizes and present awards to local honorees who have made significant contributions to the Greater Cincinnati arts community. The Gala also operates as a fundraiser for CBTC, and is attended by our sponsors, patrons and invited guests.
Past Festival productions, performers and workshops include:
Past Guest Productions/Artists:
- A Song For You: Lena Horne – Wendi Joy Franklin (NY)
- Further Adventures of Gussie Mae in American – Letitia Guillory (NY)
- Emergence-SEE – Daniel Beaty (NY)
- Flava of the Month – Sarah Scott-Davis (LA)
- Mahalia Jackson: I Found the Answer – Sharron Merriweather (KY)
- African American Opera (by Avery Hammonds) – Lisa Marie Miree (Miss Black USA)
- Hues of Blues . . Cause Your Blues Ain’t Like Mine – by Carlos V. Edwards (in memorial)
- The Mirror – by Charles E. McClinon (CPI)
Past CBTC Productions:
- Amen Corner
- Beast of a Different Burden
- Before It Hits Home
- Every Voice Counts – written and performed by CBTC Children’s Theatre Co.
- By the Time I’m 20 – by Willie James Jones for CBTC Children’s Theatre Co.
- Once On This Island – CBTC Children’s Theatre Co.
Readers’ Theatre offerings by:
- Paula Sherman, Phil Paradis, Deondra Kamau Means, Vanessa Arrington
Past Festival Workshops/Presenters:
- Writer’s Workshop – Sonia Sanchez (Philadelphia)
- Producing – Luther Goins (Actors’s Equity/Chicago)
- Jazz & Modern Dance – Dayton Contemporary Dance Company
- Auditioning/Resumes – C. Dean Tabler (in memorial)
- African Dance
- Black Theatre Aesthetics
- Guerilla Theatre
- Hip Hop
- Liturgical Dance
- Whatcha Say? Children’s Theatre